Safety at SIO
Scripps Institution of Oceanography operates its safety program in coordination with UCSD’s Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) division, which manages a coordinated safety program for the entire UCSD campus. EH&S offers extensive safety management resources, including guidelines and training for laboratory/research safety and emergency preparedness. (See links at right)
Maintaining a safe working
environment for all of Scripps is a responsibility shared among
several key individuals within each section at SIO, who work in
consultation with EH&S and Scripps Administration to implement
safety plans, promote awareness, and ensure compliance with safety
requirements (see links and contact info below).
Key safety contacts at SIO
SIO Administration Facilities Group:
Ken Hall (x21312); Bill Shull (x42730); Ron Van Boxtel (x47962)
Biology - Section Head: Lisa Levin (x43579);
MSO for CMBB, IOD, MBRD: Jennifer Davis (x42186)
Earth Sciences - Section Head: Peter Shearer (x42260);
MSO for GRD: Anne Cressey (x41830);
MSO for IGPP: Wayne Farquharson (x44552)
Oceans & Atmosphere - Section Head: Bruce Cornuelle (x44021);
MSO for CASPO, MPL: Anne Footer (x41802)
Department Safety Coordinator (DSC), Area Safety Coordinator (ASC), and Building Safety Contact (BSC) are roles assigned to various individuals to facilitate the flow of safety information and programs from EH&S and SIO Administration into the workplace. Below is a summary of the duties for each of these positions.
|Primary Function and Duties |
See this page on BLINK for additional
|Department Safety Coordinator (DSC)|
|Serve as a resource / liaison for co-workers on job-related health and safety risks|
· Help ensure UCSD's Injury & Illness Prevention Program (IIPP) requirements are met.
· Learn about Integrated Safety and Environmental Management (ISEM).
· Prepare a department emergency action plan.
· Perform annual inspections to identify and correct hazards in administrative workplaces.
· Post required and recommended safety information.
|Area Safety Coordinator (ASC)
aka Lab Safety Contact
|Assigned to labs and shops where work with hazardous material occurs|
• Conduct lab safety orientations for new employees, volunteers, visitors.
• Learn about ISEM and coordinate safety activities with DSCs.
• Serve as contact person for safety audits conducted by EH&S.
• Perform monthly inspections of fire extinguishers in labs.
• Help ensure proper disposal of abandoned chemicals in labs.
|Building Safety Contact (BSC)|
|Serve as a resource / liaison for building occupants, with a focus on emergency preparedness |
• Know building’s evacuation plan and ensure that posted evacuation maps and building occupant roster are accurate.
• Serve as lead or assistant for building emergency preparedness activities and in actual emergency situations.
• Initiate roll call of building occupants at the Designated Assembly Area, and provide information to the Emergency Operations Center (EOC).